~Jim McIntyre, CEO Greenheck Group
“Dedicated to Promoting Educational and Career Opportunities in the Welding, Fabricating and Machining Trades”
The Central Wisconsin Metal Manufacturers Alliance (CWIMMA) is a voluntary organization of manufacturers in the welding, machining, fabrication and other advanced metal manufacturing industries. The single largest constraint that our members face to growing their business is the current and projected shortage of skilled applicants to support their manufacturing needs.
Our alliance was formed to draw awareness to this skills shortage and to actively improve the pipeline of available people interested in careers in advanced metal manufacturing through
training and education.
Our members serve a wide variety of industries including contract machining, component fabrication, industrial air moving equipment, pressure vessel/tank manufacturing, cylinder fabrication, tube bending and others.
CWIMMA is closely supported by the North Central Workforce Development Board, Centergy, Northcentral Technical College, chambers of
commerce, as well as other educational institutions and economic development entities. With this support we are confident that our efforts will provide a plethora of career opportunities and macro-economic growth throughout our region.
CWIMMA’s Primary Objectives:
- Form effective partnerships with K12/14 Educators and Technical Colleges to ensure there are adequate educational opportunities for people interested in pursuing careers in welding and machining.
- Be open and inviting to students, prospective employees and other community members seeking to learn more about advanced manufacturing careers by offering facility tours, hiring interns / school to work, providing scholarships to those attending welding or machining related technical training programs, etc.
- Engage elected officials and various regulatory agencies to ensure the shortage of Welders and Machinists is clearly communicated and seek to secure grants/funds and equipment to enhance educational effectiveness.
CWIMMA’s Current Accomplishments to Date:
- Expanded Heavy Metal Tour for middle school students from 350 to over 3,300 students and over 40 manufacturers to promote economic development, educational awareness, and career pathways for youth in North Central Wisconsin.
- Expanded High School Welding Competition to 10 area school districts.
- Instrumental in increasing the capacity of the welding program at Northcentral Technical College from 38 to 110 graduates annually.
- Successful in establishing a partnership with Miller Electric to provide $400k in Welding Equipment to Northcentral Technical College.
- Awarded a Fast Forward Grant of $200k to provide necessary incumbent worker training to employees at 15 area manufacturers participating in training programs.
- Held an educators summit consisting of 16 area school districts in 9 counties to address meeting needs of schools and employers from an educational and economic development perspective.
Have a question about CWIMMA? Contact us at: email@example.com